CR2G gathers together 12 people sharing interest in constraints and related topics, such as: symbolic-numeric computations, interval arithmetic, constraint solving, optimization, multi-criteria decision making; as well as in applications of constraints, such as: test-suite generation, program verification, bio-medical engineering. We are also passionate about sharing our passion! So we work on small projects for school kids (elementary, middle, high) and catch any opportunity to go and visit and present to them.
We welcome anyone interested in joining our group!
This page is dedicated to reporting our work, findings, activities. Although reporting on all activities of CR2G, it has a special emphasis on reporting on the NSF CAREER project of Dr. Ceberio (01/2010-12/2014) and on the international workshop, CoProD, that the group annually organizes.
- OPEN POSITIONS: Undergraduate students (any time ) to work on constraints and optimization, and / or their applications.
Life of CR2G:
- December 2015: release of our solver (standalone package for Windows and Mac) available for download on this website!
- November 2015: Leobardo Valera successfully defended his PhD proposal! on using interval constraint solving techniques and model-order reduction to solve large nonlinear systems.
- August 2015: Joel Henderson successfully defended his Master’s thesis! on using argumentation frameworks to model and solve Multi-Experts Multi-Criteria Decision Making problems (MEMCDM)
- December 2014: Angel Garcia Contreras successfully defended his Master’s thesis! on a speculative algorithm to solve optimization problems
- Summer 2014: Nexus internship in our lab very well attended! see contributions of our interns on this website!
- Carolina Barraza became one of the 10 21st Century Scholars – the centennial edition for the College of Engineering.
- November 2 2013: Luis Gutierrez and Angel Garcia presented at the 14th Joint UTEP/NMSU workshop on Mathematics, Computer Science, and Computational Sciences.
- November 1 2013: The members of the CR2G hosted CoProd at the University of Texas at El Paso.
- Luis Gutierrez became CAHSI Student Advocate for the scholar year 2013-2014.
- Carolina Barraza accepted an internship offer at Microsoft as Software Development Engineer Intern for the Summer of 2014.
- October 3-6 2013: The CR2G members attended SACNAS Conference and members Joel Henderson, Luis Gutierrez, and Angel Garcia presented at this conference.
- Luis Gutierrez was accepted into the Computational Science PhD Program at UTEP, he will start in Fall 2013.
- 17- 23 June 2013, Joel Henderson presented at NUMTA2013, Falerna, Italy
- Joel Henderson and Luis Gutierrez were awarded the ICAPS summer school travel scholarship.
- June 4 -7 2013: Joel Henderson, Luis Gutierrez, and Carolina Barraza attended ICAPS Summer School of Planning and Scheduling held in Perugia, Italy.
- Angel Garcia interned at Sandia National labs during Summer 2013.
- Joel Henderson traveled to Perugia, Italy to work with Dr. Stefano Bistarelli.
- April 20, 2013: Luis Gutierrez and Carlos Nieto presented at the 2013 Spring COURI Symposium.
- January 18, 2013: Xiaojing Wang successfully defended her PhD Dissertation
- Luis Gutierrez and Carlos Nieto were awarded the COURI Research Scholarship for Fall 2012 and Spring 2013.
- Carolina Barraza became CAHSI Student Advocate for the scholar year 2012-2013.
- June 18 -19 2012: Luis Gutierrez attended the CMD-IT workshop at Washington, DC
- July 27 2012: Luis Gutierrez presented at the 2012 Summer COURI Symposium.
- April 21 2012: Luis Gutierrez presented at the 2012 Spring COURI Symposium.
- Luis Gutierrez was awarded with the COURI Research Scholarship for Spring 2012 and Summer 2012
- April 17-21 2012: Luis Gutierrez attended ICST’2012, in Montreal, Canada.
- Giving back to the community: CR2G members will be helping repaint a shelter for women, Villa Maria in El Paso, on Saturday March 3rd.
- Grand Opening of the Computer Science and Chemistry Building at UTEP on March 2nd: CR2G is presenting posters on the third floor of the building.
- Angel Garcia Contreras presented our team’s work at the INFORMS OS Conference in Corral Gables on February 23rd-26th.
- February 10, 2012: the CR2G team helped a lot in the preparation and hosting of the awards ceremony for the NCWIT El Paso Las Cruces affiliate of the Awards for Aspirations in Computing
- Luis Gutierrez, undergraduate student, received a COURI scholarship for the spring 2012
- Summer 2011: 6 high-school students to join our team
- August 28, 2010: Shubhra Datta performs at the Indian Cultural Program at Magoffin Auditorium at UTEP. See here the video of her performance and her pictures: picture1, picture 2.
- August 20, 2010: Deadline for submission of contribution to CoProD’10 to be held at the ENS, Lyon, France on September 30, 2010, right after SCAN’10.
- August 6, 2010: Jeremy Cummins, Summer REU student with CR2G this summer, will present his work on a Hybrid Optimization Algorithm for Fuzzy Measure Extraction from 1:30 to 3:00 in the CS department.
- August 1– 7, 2010: ICiS workshop on Optimization in Energy Systems. Martine Ceberio to talk on August 6, 2010 on Global Optimization.
- July 9, 2010: Shubhra Datta (MS student member of CR2G) was awarded a scholarship to attend the 2010 Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing and present her work on constraints for verification of programs there.
- July 8, 2010: The website for NAFIPS’2011 is now available. This international conference will be held in March 2011 in El Paso, Texas, and organized by M. Ceberio and V. Kreinovich (UTEP).
- June 14, 2010: General introduction to Computer Science given at the welcome session for the MSEIP EPCC Summer research program
- June 11, 2010: 2 Nexus interns from Harmony Science Academy of El Paso joined CR2G for a 2-month intern experience
- June 1, 2010: 1 UG student joined CR2G as part of the Summer REU site whose PI is Dr. Olac Fuentes
- April 14, 2010: Lectures on constraint solving at the CS AI course.
- April 16, 2010: Talk on how to write a successful proposal in Engineering A323 from 3 to 4pm
- April 9, 2010: EPCC presentation on Computer Science and Career Choices, at 11:30.
- April, 2010: Shubhra Datta (MS student member of CR2G) was awarded an ACM-W to attend the international conference AAAI-2010.
- March 29-April 2. 2010: Very interesting AIM workshop on Computational Optimization for Tensor Decomposition, Palo Alto, CA